August 19th 2023: The following press release was put out by the City Of Costa Mesa because of the important issue at hand i have posted it in full. Thank you the city for the information and, stay safe everyone.
Hurricane Hilary has the potential to bring heavy rain and wind to our area this weekend. A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect, and the National Weather Service has issued a Flood Watch beginning at 5 a.m. Sunday, August 20, through 11 p.m. Monday, August 21.
Due to high demand, our supply of sandbags have been depleted. Sand is available for free to Costa Mesa residents in the southeast corner of the City Hall parking lot at 77 Fair Drive. The location is self-service, please bring your own shovel and sandbag.
City crews will patrol potential flooding spots to make sure catch basins are clear of debris and operational. Crews are also ready to respond to other weather-related incidents.
Please report flooding, fallen trees and other storm-related issues to 714-754-5252.
Be advised that City team and CMFR remain well-prepared and are continuously monitoring the situation. Below are key pieces of information and links to websites for real-time updates:
- Residents should anticipate periods of heavy rain, Sunday afternoon/evening into Monday.
- Residents should prepare for high winds, and secure outdoor items, watch for the potential of downed power lines, uprooted trees and roof issues (this is specific to mobile homes, sheds and out buildings).]
- Modeling shows wind gusts 20-50 mph sustained once the storm hits
- Rain expectations have increased from 2 to 4 inches
- Sand bag availability at City Hall beginning Aug. 18, 2023 in the south east area of City Hall parking lot.
- For the non-emergency information line, please call 714-754-5252
- For up-to-date power outages, please visit the SCE website at https://www.sce.com/
- To remain up-to-date and for preparedness recommendations, please visit Ready OC at: https://www.readyoc.com/
- Please signup for alert messages through Alert OC at: https://member.everbridge.net/453003085613900/login
- Please visit the following link for current up- to-date weather info. You can customize to your zip code: https://www.weather.gov/sgx